While every follower of Christ is a member of the Church as organism (the spiritual body of Christ), only by a public promise can you be part of the church as organization. At Hayward Wesleyan, membership is a public promise before God and the community to commit one’s self to the work of Christ within our congregation.
Membership in a local church is different than membership in other organizations. In many organizations, the organization exists to serve the individual. However, within the church, membership is about service to others on behalf of Jesus Christ. At Hayward Wesleyan we take seriously that we are a church that exists not for ourselves, but for others.
We encourage all committed believers who share in the vision and mission of Hayward Wesleyan to become covenant members.
Things to consider before becoming a member:
- I have made a profession of faith in Christ as saviour and Lord. (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 10:9)
- I have committed myself to attending church regularly for at least six months prior to pursuing membership. (This period will give ample time to form a relationship with the church community and the individual pursuing membership.)
Expectations of members:
- Profess faith in Christ and desire to grow in their discipleship to Jesus.
- We expect members to be in community with one another (Acts 2:42, Hebrews 10:25) for the purpose of ongoing discipleship (mutual encouragement, edification and accountability).
- We intend for members to be involved in serving the church and community through the gifts God has given them for the sake of growing and edifying the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:1-31).
- We expect members to follow the guidelines set forth in the Wesleyan Discipline for covenant membership.